This fool, spiked with ginger, is so light and pillowy, and so pleasingly neon. The rhubarb brings a welcome sharpness and pop of bright pink.
FOR THE RHUBARB
- 2 stems rhubarb, thinly sliced (see below for alternatives)
- 1 heaped tablespoon caster sugar
- 300ml double cream or vegan cream
- 100ml thick Greek or coconut yoghurt
- 6 balls stem ginger, 4 finely chopped, 2 thinly sliced, plus 1 tablespoon of syrup from the jar
- The zest of ½ unwaxed lemon
- Strawberries, raw, sliced
- Raspberries, raw, crushed
- Pear, raw, thinly sliced
- Plums, cooked with a little sugar
- Gooseberries, cooked with a little sugar
- Oven temperature, 190°C, 375°F, gas 5.
- In a pan, cook the rhubarb and sugar for 2 minutes, until the juices turn the sugar into a pink syrup, but the rhubarb still holds its crunch. Set aside to cool in the pan for 20 minutes.
- Whip the cream or vegan cream a little shy of soft peaks, then fold in the yoghurt. Vegan cream may not whip soft peaks – just whip it as much as you can
- Add the finely chopped ginger and stir it through with the ginger syrup and lemon zest. When it has cooled, stir half the cooked rhubarb into the cream.
- Spoon the fool equally between four Le Creuset Ramekins, topping with the remaining thinly sliced ginger and the rest of the rhubarb.
Cook’s Notes: You can adjust the amount of sugar to the sweetness of your fruit.
Recipe kindly supplied by Le Creuset.