With a combination of Greek flavours these savoury muffins are irresistible served warm. They make a delicious snack on their own or can be an accompaniment to soups, casseroles and salads. This recipe requires no preparation of the Le Creuset Muffin Tray and is quick to prepare and cook.
This recipe makes 12 muffins.
150g spelt flour
150g plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
Pinch dried chilli flakes, optional
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried
115g mature feta cheese, crumbled
55g roasted or sun-blush deli-style tomatoes, roughly chopped
250ml semi-skimmed milk
2 large eggs
115g melted butter
Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/Gas Mark 6
- In a large bowl mix the flours, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt, pepper and chilli flakes. Stir in the rosemary, feta cheese and tomatoes.
- Measure the milk into a jug and whisk in the eggs and melted butter.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Combine everything together lightly, taking care not to over mix.
- Spoon the mixture equally between the muffin cups. Bake in the centre of the oven for 15-18 minutes until golden brown and well risen.
- Savoury muffins are a good alternative to bread and are great accompaniment to soups and stews.
- For a variation why not try roasted peppers in place of the tomatoes. Ready roasted peppers are available in jars in the supermarket.